3.09.2010

Put A Ring On It

So yesterday I went on a "date" with what I thought was a really nice guy. Actually I'll say he's an okay guy anyway halfway through the meal he casually mentions the fact that he has a wife and children and then went on about his conversation like he said he had a dog and cat.

So I paused for a moment like oh, ok. I needed to push rewind in my head because that isn't something you skim over and then go back to talking about politics/the weather etc. So I asked a few more questions about his wife and kids and he kinda acted like he had an attitude that I wanted to know.

The nerve of me *insert sarcasm*.

But I continued probing and he finally just said they don't live in the area yet but are moving here soon and when I asked about the kids ages he said "five and seven.... I think."

You think? I mean I knew how old my pets were and I didn't have anything to do with the procreation process so how do you "think" you know how old your kids are. Get the F out of here. So as the meal progresses (because it's no longer a date). I look at his hand and I'm like there is no sign of a ring, not even a tan line no indentation nothing.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but for me that is the one sign to back away. Had I known he had a wife AND children I wouldn't have even been there in the first place. I'm all for keeping families together and respecting other peoples relationships and I'm actually upset that I was even put in that position.

Shortly after that I said I had a meeting to head to and wrapped up the meal. I tried to pay my half and he wouldn't let me and with the quickness I left out of the restaurant.

I was sooo annoyed and upset about a situation that EASILY could have been avoided had he just have said uhh I'm married or wore a ring.

I've been in too many situations where I've seen a guy do "the ring trick" and slide that sacred band in his pocket to try and play off his life time commitment for a cheap thrill. So not cute.As an adult we have to accept our responsibilities and if being married happens to be one of them then own it. My mom always used to tell me don't pretend to be something you are not and if that happens to be single then I need you to man up/woman up and put a ring on it.

Show respect for yourself and your partner and also the person that you are dragging into this foolishness.

1 comment: